A man over the age of 65 who had underlying health conditions died of heat-related illness in Baltimore County between June 17 and June 23, according to the Maryland Department of Mental Health and Hygiene.
A Harford County woman also over the age of 65 who had underlying health conditions passed during the same time frame from heat-related illness, the Maryland Department of Mental Health and Hygiene reported.
Due to privacy reasons, officials could not provide more information about what the individuals were doing at the time of the heat-related distress.
The Baltimore County Health Department recommends going to cooling centers at Baltimore County Public Library branches and Baltimore County Senior Centers for relief from the heat. It also provided these tips for summer safety:
- Limit exposure to excessive heat.
- Reduce strenuous activity.
- Never leave a child or pet unattended in a vehicle.
- Dress in lightweight clothing.
- Stay hydrated with non-caffeinated, nonalcoholic beverages.