Timothy Howard Virts, 38, is being interviewed by homicide detectives and will be sent to the Baltimore County Detention Center, according to the Baltimore County Police Department.
Virts, who has no listed address, was arrested without incident on March 7 in Florence, SC, after a hotel clerk recognized him and his daughter from an Amber Alert on Facebook. The alert was part of a national campaign to find the 11-year-old, who was reported missing March 6 and believed to be with her father, who police said was considered dangerous.
On Friday afternoon, police said Virts was formally charged with first-degree murder in the death of Bobbie Jo Cortez, 36, who was found dead in her home in the 3100 block of Ardee Way in Dundalk on March 6.
Officials have not determined when Cortez was last seen alive, "though detectives have confirmed that she was alive on March 5," police said.
Previously, police said that she was killed before 6 p.m. on March 5.
Online court records show the first-degree murder charge against Virts involves an incident that occurred between March 5 and 6.
Baltimore County first responders were called to the Ardee Way home for a cardiac arrest on March 6 and found Cortez dead in her bedroom, police said.
"At about the same time, the occupants of the house discovered that Caitlyn and Timothy Virts were missing, along with a Dodge Durango," police said. "An Amber Alert was then issued for Caitlyn Marie Virts."Caitlyn Virts was found on March 7 in South Carolina and returned to Maryland on March 8, police said. She and her siblings were in the custody of social services officials, according to police.
Since his arrest, Timothy Virts was detained at the Florence County Detention Center, according to News Channel 15 in South Carolina. He waived his right to extradition from South Carolina, a process that could have taken more than a week.
He will be held without bail at the Baltimore County Detention Center, police said.
- Virts Case: Daughter Returns to Maryland, Police Arrange Father's Return
- Caitlyn and Timothy Virts Found at Motel: Police
- Police Thank Hotel Clerk, 'Keyboard Crime Fighters,' FBI in Virts Investigation
- FBI Joins Search for Missing Baltimore County Girl
- Police: Missing Girl's Mother Found Dead in Dundalk Home
- Father of Missing Baltimore County Girl Charged in Mother's Murder
- Police Issue Amber Alert for Missing Baltimore County Girl
- NC Sighting of Missing Man, Girl Unconfirmed: Baltimore County Police
- Baltimore County Police Identify Murder Suspect Vehicle