Dumb Maryland Laws You May Have Violated
Did you ever look through your husband's pockets while he's asleep? That's illegal. So is taking a lion to the movies in Baltimore City.
From the "Craziest Laws in America" blog—here are some wacky Maryland laws.
- A woman may not go through her husband's pockets while he is sleeping;
- Men may not buy drinks for female bartenders;
- It is illegal to sell condoms from vending machines with one exception: prophylactics may be dispensed from a vending machine only "in places where alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on the premises;"
- Thistles may not grow in one's yard;
- Eating while swimming in the ocean is prohibited;
- In the entire state, it is illegal to give or receive oral sex;
- It is a violation to be in a public park with a sleeveless shirt, including joggers, punishable with a$10 fine;
- You cannot swear while inside the city limits of Baltimore;
- Maryland requires that alcohol beverage writers be certified as experts by an agency of the state before they can receive product samples, which it limits to three bottles per brand;
- Baltimore: Though you may spit on a city roadway, spitting on city sidewalks is prohibited;
- Baltimore: It's illegal to take a lion to the movies;
- Baltimore: It is a violation of city code to sell chicks or ducklings to a minor within one week of the Easter holiday;
- Baltimore has regulations governing the disposal of hog's heads, pet droppings and oyster shells;
- Columbia: You can not have an antenna exposed outside of your house yet you can have a 25' satellite dish. Though clotheslines are banned, clothes are allowed to be draped over a fence;
- Gypsies should steer clear of Caroline County, MD, where it's a $100 fine or six months in the can for "forecasting or pretending to foretell the future;"
- In Baltimore it's illegal to block the sidewalk with a box. But the offense only carries a $1 fine;
- In Baltimore it is illegal to throw bale of hay (or of anything else) out a second-story window. That gets you a $20 fine;
- In Baltimore it's illegal to play professional croquet before 2 p.m. on Sunday. The law also applies to professional quoits;
- In Baltimore it is illegal to mistreat oysters;
- In Baltimore it is illegal to wash or scrub sinks no matter how dirty they get;
- In Halethrope, MD, kisses longer than one second are illegal;
- Ocean City: A law from the early 1900s prohibits men from going topless on the Boardwalk.